Friday, December 20, 2013

As You Would Have Them Do Unto You

Dear Gay Community:

It has been 24 hours since I publicly began bargaining for you. And I am exhausted. I am a straight woman in love with a straight man- this isn't really my battle.

Except that it is.

I apologize for every time you felt unloved, unwanted, not good enough, etc. I don't mean to put words in your mouth, it's just that if I were in your shoes, it's how I'd feel.

So, call me a sinner if you must, world, because I can't change what my heart feels to be true.

Praise the Lord that it is He alone who will judge my heart come my time. All I am trying to do is love an unloved people. To treat them with the kindness that I have been treated with, and to show them the grace and compassion that I have been shown. As soon as I could criticize their lifestyle, they could criticize mine. We are all blemished and unholy, by why do I try to force them out of their lifestyle, and I use the word force literally.

In my version of the world, the gay community would walk upright with any and all civil rights, without a scarlet letter branding them and barring them from things.

The point that I would like to make most clear is that yes, Phil Robertson had a right to say what he wanted and yes, he is Biblically correct in what he said. BUT what he said caused pain and anguish in the hearts of those living the lifestyle he spoke of. It belittled their lives and love and did not make Jesus look even slightly appealing to them.
And THAT is my biggest issue with what he said. IT IS NOT DIFFICULT, RESPECT OTHERS' DIFFERENCES AND LOVE THEM DESPITE THEIR SINS AS THEY SHOULD DO YOU.

To anyone that privately or publicly contacted me to show support, thank you so much, your words mean so much as these are scary things to say out loud when you grew up like I did.

Perhaps a decade ago, I wouldn't have felt the way that I do now. Maybe 5 years ago I might have felt it but was too afraid of the shame and retort to say it. But I'm too old now and have heard enough. I will fight for you, and I will still love God. If my open heart isn't good enough, than so be it, that's all I have to offer.

I can't turn my back when I see an injustice- usually I can't do much about it except complain to my boyfriend,  but maybe if I try hard enough, I can do something this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment