Wednesday, February 20, 2013

What do you do with a B.A. in English?

"What do you do, with a B.A. in English? What is my life going to be?
Four years of college, and plenty of knowledge have earned me this useless degree.
I can't pay the bills yet, 'cuz I have no skills yet, the world's just a big scary place.
But somehow I can't shake the feeling I might make a difference to the human race."
                                                                                           -Avenue Q
I quote this constantly, because it is incredibly applicable to my life, and is the story of why I am moving to New York in 10 days.

We children of the 90's have grown up with such an amazing mentality, we don't believe in living to work, but working to live. We think that the world is ours for the taking, that the limit is truly the moon. To us, social, economical, racial, gender status is not inhibiting. We want everything, and then more, and I think it is fantastic.

The world to our parents and grandparents was so much stricter. They were born into a life that they would probably live until they died. If their father was a blue collar worker with a family business, then the son would grow up and take it over, it didn't matter if he wanted to do something else. College was for the elite, not for the dedicated. Women were, and are still, primarily mothers and secretaries, (some other day I will discuss how motherhood is a wonderful thing, but it doesn't mean it is the only option), but we have come so far.  

So now, we all grow up with these dreams bigger than we are, and we go to college, no idea what those dreams even are or what they mean, but we have them, and then, we graduate, some of us have a plan, most of us don't.
To those of you who know your dreams, congratulations, you are light years ahead of the rest of us, who are just wandering around.

To those of you who don't, you're lying. You know, maybe you're afraid, (read: Nicole), but you know. You know if you want to quit you're well-paying job and go back to school and teach little kids, you know if you want to say eff it and audition for American Idol, YOU KNOW.

So, in one of my dream worlds, I am a writer. I am funny, and witty, and people don't mind that I am slightly whiny and self-obsessed (jk) (jk about jk), and so I started a blog. In another one of my dream worlds, I am a New Yorker, and so in 10 days I am moving, to New York.

I don't know what I can do, I don't know who I will be, I don't even know what I will be,

but somehow I can't shake the feeling I might make a difference to the human race.

I challenge you to realize your dream, and realize what is stopping you. (This is a YOLO moment, FYI)

When someone asks me about my move, I usually answer by saying that I am making a mistake no matter what I do. Leaving Delaware where my life is safe, comfortable, where I have a good, stable job, is a total mistake. But spending the rest of life never going after one of my oldest and biggest dreams, for no reason but fear, would also be a mistake, and it is the mistake I would rather be making.



As Elphaba once said, Everyone deserves the chance to fly!



2 comments:

  1. I think your move is magical and glorious. BRAVO. And good luck. Me, I have work, and then I have a dinner thing, and then I'm busy trying to figure out who I am. But I think I'm getting close, and it sounds like so are you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great article! But I would like to point out that over 50% of management and professional roles are held by WOMEN. And that is as of 2012!

    ReplyDelete