Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Awkward.

It is almost two a.m., and if it weren't the middle of the night, I'd have so much more sense than to be so awkwardly honest on the internet.

I've only ever fallen in love once. It took like 30 seconds. I had this dream, and in my dream God told me to go love this boy. I woke up and had forgotten all about it until I saw him at breakfast. I was hot and cold and nauseous and dizzy and terrified, and had no idea why. And then I remembered, and I loved him. And I was 16.

And many, many years passed, and many wonderful and terrible things happened. We were both very good to each other and we were both very awful to each other. I think, with the clarity of the hindsight, we loved each other so much that we didn't know what to do, we were so young. And as they say, you hurt the ones you love the most.

We loved too much. Yes, it is possible. It was all-consuming, intoxicating, and detrimental to our respective well-beings.

I have had the opportunity to spend the last two years, one month, 3 weeks & 3 days to figure out who was to blame. On the surface, him. In reality, me. I became a person that even I was unable to love, how was I to ask that of another?

I was born for two ultimate reasons, I was born to be an Artist, and I was born to be in love. And I had spent every waking moment of my life since birth chasing after those things with such a dark intensity that I couldn't see anything else. Every moment in my life was designed to amount to one of those two things. The day that I learned that the boy I loved, loved me as well... I still don't know the word for that moment.

I was so obsessed with love. With feeling it, giving it, receiving it, I forgot everything else. Because even though you can love too much, love is not always enough. I forgot to respect this boy that I loved, I forgot to both accept and give forgiveness. I forgot to be his biggest fan, the one person who he had when there was no one left. I forgot to give him the Grace we all so desperately need.
I was so young, maybe I just didn't know.

I am 23 now, and it has been 6 years 7 months and about three weeks. In 6 years, 7 months and about three weeks a lot can happen. A lot did happen. I know so much now that I couldn't have then, when I had the chance. I don't know if the wisdom came with age or with heartbreak. I know so much, I have grown so much. I wonder if this boy I loved, if he knew me now, could he love me again? Love who I have become? I have once again become the girl he loved so long ago.

It seems like it wasn't ever real, like everything happened that night during the dream, and I woke up two years ago to reality.
I have the same dream all the time, we find each other and are just terribly confused. "Why do you look so different?" "Why don't I recognize your voice?" We finally realize because X amount of time has passed, and then life goes on, as it once might have.

"It's like forgetting the words
to your favorite song,
you can't believe it,
you were always singing along."


This is so strange, and awkward, and maybe even dangerous to post. Just about everyone who has ever met me knows exactly who I am talking about. Have your opinion, say I am pathetic, or that I should get over it, or that I am a joke, you won't tell me anything I haven't told myself. So maybe, by writing this piece of public humiliation, someone else will benefit from it, because I probably won't.

Do not be ashamed of who you are, how you feel, or who you love.

2 comments:

  1. It is brave to post this and, braver still, to share it on facebook. I think Lena (though I obcs don't know her, but idolize her as well) would be proud. Do not shame yourself for feeling fully.

    ReplyDelete