Thursday, August 8, 2013

This is what you do with a B.A. in English (Or, My Gratitude List) (Or, 5,000 Views!)

My boyfriend is spending the better part of his days convincing me to turn my negative thoughts into positive ones, to which I reply that I like my negative thoughts, thank you very much.
He says that whenever he is feeling negative he writes out a gratitude list to remind of of everything he is thankful for. (I know, he is definitely not of this species.)

This week I broke 5,000 views on this blog. (And I don't event track my own page views!)
I cannot for the life of me understand why I have a stalker who has read my blog 5,000 times. Or maybe have 5,000 people who've read it once. Or whatever combination it actually is, but I am so thankful I could just cry.

My first blog post about 6 months ago was entitled "What Do You Do With a B.A. in English" and so this title feels fitting now:
In a dream world, when you have a B.A. in English, you move to New York to be a writer. Or maybe an editor. Or maybe think about grad school and get tired when you open a GRE book. Or maybe a Craigslister. Or maybe a funny person. Or maybe a funny person who writes a blog?
In the real world, when you have a B.A. in English you move to New York to try to be all of those things, but you are mostly unemployed.

So, this is where my (unemployment) gratitude list comes in:
I am grateful for... (this feels like a 2nd grade Thanksgiving assignment, but just roll with it)
1.) Taking naps in the middle of the day, after waking up around 10:30 am
2.) Being able to be free to meet any friends that call me up.
3.) Finding all of the cool things NYC has to offer for free.
4.) NOT HAVING TO WAKE UP AT 6:30 AM AND DRESS LIKE A GROWN-UP
5.) A boyfriend who is a professor and therefore has the summer "off" as well.
6.) All of the people who keep telling me not to give up.
7.) Parents who pay my loans.
8.) People who actively believe I will amount to more than the voice in my head says I will.
9.) The ability to write blog posts about being unemployed and people don't hate me for it.
10.) Being unemployed in New York, I would take it over a decent salary in a life-sucking town any day of the week.

I am so grateful for 5,000 views. For the people who read these entries and then proceed to tell me that they read the entries and that it was applicable to their life.
Y'all know who you are. And you're the best.

1 comment:

  1. I believe in you Nadler!! Seriously though, I know you will make it.

    ReplyDelete